Monday, September 29, 2008

The Hippos win the pennant! The Hippos win the pennant!

I play Fantasy Baseball. The format is a game called Baseball Manager. In fact, I first played this version back before the internet was big and it was on the Prodigy Internet service in the early 1990's.

In 1998, I joined a league of managers who needed a replacement for someone who elected to leave the league. That league was known as the Highlander League. 10 managers, selecting players from the American League only.

I started as the Buggers (named from Ender's game).
I changed my name to The Matrix (named from the movie).
Then in 2001, I changed team's name to the Gauchos. I even had a guy create a logo for me:



Finally, I settled on the Hungry Hippos for the 2004 season. I had the same guy at Geeklogos.com create another logo for me.




From 1998 to 2007, I made the playoffs once. In 2001, I placed 4th in the league, and went on to lose in the first round of the playoffs.

However, this morning I woke up to the news that I won the 2008 Highlander League Regular Season! I managed to win the title by one game, and feel pretty good after wallowing in abject failure all those years until now.

As for my fellow managers, there have been some who stayed, and some who have left and been replaced. There are still 4 managers from when I joined the league in 1998. I have never met any of the 9 other managers in the league, but I've known some of them for over 10 years. You couldn't ask for a better group of guys.

So here's to the BBM AL Keeper Highlander League! Tigers, Yankees, Rabbits, Vipers, Lobstermen, GodKings, Rascals, Warthogs & Sharks! Well done guys, and thanks for your friendship!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wahoo! Persistence pays off at last. Hearty congratulations from a couple of faithful fans of your team in all its various incarnations.

Hooray for the Hungry Hippos! And hooray for their hungry-for-victory manager who has at last been satisfied.

Will you retire now that you are finally triumphant? :)