Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The other night

Many of you may or may not know that Michael has RLS. He has had it for years now, how many, I don't know. And when we were living in Idaho, he finally went to see a Doctor about it. The nights he has it or can feel it coming on he takes medicine for it. He can go weeks without needing to take something, and then some weeks he will have RLS a few times in a week. Well, the other night he could feel it coming on early in the evening so about 8pm he took his medicine for it hoping that if he took it early, by the time he was ready for bed it would have kicked in and he could get a good night sleep. He got a terrible night sleep. He couldn't figure out why what he took didn't work. I thought that maybe what he was taking just wasn't working anymore, that can happen, so that's what I thought. So then the next night he could start to feel symptoms, and asked if I would get him his meds. I go to the cupboard where all the meds are kept, and sitting there on top, was not his meds. so I asked him if that was what he took the last night. As he read the bottle, he now knew why it didn't work. What he took the other night was for something else, not RLS. No harm was done in taking the wrong medicine, good thing, but we realized how important it is to read the bottles of any medicine each time you go and get something. Especially with having kids, you always have to double check. I at times have had RLS too, but I haven't ever had it like Michael has it.

2 comments:

Party of Two said...

I have RLS too! I can't take medication for it until Ike is here though, and it has gotten HORRIBLE the past month. I literally have it every night and just cry. I thought the end of your story would be something like he took some Midol accidently or something, lol. I'm glad everything worked out for the best though!

The Reimers Family said...

What a pain, I hope his real meds work better for him.