Thursday, October 2, 2008

Making cookies

So the other day when I was making cookies, I noticed on the package that they were claiming that there were over 300 chips inside. So.....I had to find out! I'm not usually so obsessive compulsive about things like this, in fact, if it didn't say over 300 chips inside, I wouldn't have even given it a second thought about how many chips were in the cookie mix. Besides, 300 just sounded like a lot...I know they are small, but still 300. So I dump the mix into a bowl. It didn't look like 300, so now I just had to know. I didn't want to go through it and start picking out all of the chocolate chips, that would take forever and it wouldn't have been very clean. So I got a slotted spoon since I don't have a sifter and started sifting out all of the chocolate chips with the spoon into another bowl. Once I had them in the bowl and went through the mix twice to make sure I didn't miss any, I put the chips into a measuring cup. It still didn't look like there could be 300. From there I took a spoon and counted the chips as I put them into yet another bowl. And when I was done counting, and my curiosity had been satisfied, and I dirtied more dishes than was necessary, I put the chocolate chips back in the mix and finished making my cookies. And just so you know when they say there is over 300 chips inside....believe them, save yourself a lot of time and just make the cookies. After all that time, time I could have saved myself and could have been already eating the cookies instead of counting. And the final count was 307! And I figures that buying the cookie mix in the bag is easy, just as good as homemade (I think), and probably cheaper than buying the bag of chocolate chips and all the other ingredients since I can get a mix for $1.50 at walmart that makes about 2 1/2 to 3 doz cookies and all you have to add is 1 egg and a stick of butter. I think last time I looked at the store for chocolate chips they were over $5.00 a bag.

4 comments:

Summer said...

That is so funny! I never would have thought to count them! I probably would have if I separated them out and saw how few it looks! I would never have thought that was 300 choc. chips!

I'll have to try the mix...I have never had it before, but your right, a whole lot cheaper than choco. chips!!

Paige said...

That is too funny! Well, now you know, and you'll never have to spend time doing it again, eh? Thanks for letting me know, so that I don't have to count them myself.

Did you read my blog about chocolate chips? I found some on sale at Albertsons ($.70 a bag!!) and I stocked up and bought 20 bags : ) We're pretty well set for a while, I think!

The Reimers Family said...

I bet you slept a lot better that night, that's funny!

Party of Two said...

I agree, they are just as good (unless you make some fancy schmancy choc chip cookies) and SO much cheaper! I can't believe you counted all the chips, you crack me up!